Everything You Need to Know About IPL Hair Removal
Table of Contents
- 0.1 TL:DR Summary
- 0.2 Introduction
- 0.3 How does IPL hair removal work?
- 0.4 Benefits of IPL hair removal
- 0.5 Risks and side effects of IPL hair removal
- 0.6 Why is SHR and Why is it better than IPL?
- 0.7 How to find IPL and SHR hair removal providers in Singapore
- 0.8 Who Choose Wellaholic?
- 0.9 Key Takeaways
- 0.10 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 0.11 Book Now Pay Later
- 0.12 SHR Permanent Hair Removal with Unlimited Shots
- 1 Decoding IPL Hair Removal: An Exhaustive Guide to IPL Treatment in Singapore
- IPL Hair Removal Explained: Uses intense pulsed light to target and inhibit hair growth.
- How IPL Works: Light energy absorbed by hair melanin, heating and damaging follicles.
- IPL Benefits: Reduces unwanted hair, improves skin texture, saves time and money.
- IPL Drawbacks: Not permanent, may need multiple sessions, not for all hair/skin types.
- Pre-IPL Preparation: Shave area, avoid sun, tanning, bleaching; wear protective goggles.
- Post-IPL Care: Apply aloe or ice, avoid hot showers, swimming, sweating; use sunscreen.
In my years of experience as an Aesthetic Director, I’ve had the opportunity to delve deeply into various hair removal techniques, and Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) hair removal stands out as a topic of high interest among clients and professionals alike. In this blog post, I aim to share comprehensive insights about IPL hair removal, drawing from both my professional interactions and extensive research in the field. IPL has revolutionized the approach to hair removal, offering a balance between efficacy and safety. However, understanding its nuances is key. From the science behind how it works to evaluating its suitability for different skin types, and even debunking common myths, I will cover all aspects to provide a thorough understanding. If you are interested in IPL and related hair removal, please read on~
How does IPL hair removal work?
IPL Hair Removal. IPL hair removal uses high-intensity light pulses to target hair follicles. The light energy is absorbed by the pigment in the hair, which then converts to heat and destroys the hair follicle. IPL targets multiple hair follicles at once, making it a fast and effective method of hair removal.
Suitability. IPL hair removal is generally suitable for people with fair to medium skin tones and dark hair, as the contrast between the hair and skin makes it easier for the light to be absorbed by the hair follicles. People with darker skin tones or blonde, red, or grey hair may not be suitable candidates for IPL hair removal.
Dr. Michele Green, a board-certified dermatologist in New York City shares the following: “IPL hair removal is a great option for people with fair to medium skin tones and dark hair. It is a safe and effective way to reduce unwanted hair on the face and body. IPL works by emitting light energy that is absorbed by the melanin in the hair follicle. This heat damages the follicle and prevents hair from growing back. IPL is most effective on people with dark hair because the melanin in the hair follicle absorbs the light energy better. People with light hair or very dark skin may need more treatments to see results.”
Benefits of IPL hair removal
Long-Lasting Results. One of the main benefits of IPL hair removal is that it provides long-lasting results. Unlike shaving, waxing, or tweezing, which only remove hair temporarily, IPL hair removal destroys the hair follicles, preventing hair from regrowing in the treated area.
Relatively Painless. IPL hair removal is also a relatively painless procedure compared to other hair removal methods. While some people may experience mild discomfort during the treatment, it is generally well-tolerated.
Large Areas & Quick Procedure. Another benefit of IPL hair removal is that it can be used to treat large areas of the body, like the legs, arms, back, and chest. It’s also a quick procedure, with most sessions lasting around 30 minutes.
Risks and side effects of IPL hair removal
As with any cosmetic procedure, there are some risks and potential side effects associated with IPL hair removal. These may include:
- Skin irritation: Some people may experience redness, swelling, or itchiness in the treated area after IPL hair removal.
- Hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation: IPL hair removal can sometimes cause changes in skin color, either darkening or lightening the treated area.
- Burns: If the light pulses are too strong or the treatment is not performed correctly, IPL hair removal can cause burns or blisters.
- Eye injury: IPL hair removal can be dangerous to the eyes if not performed correctly. Eye protection should always be worn during the procedure.
It’s important to choose a reputable and experienced practitioner for IPL hair removal to minimize the risk of complications.
Why is SHR and Why is it better than IPL?
SHR stands for Super Hair Removal, which is a newer technology compared to IPL. SHR uses a different type of light energy to heat up and damage hair follicles, making it an effective method of hair removal. But why is it better than IPL?
- Faster treatment time: SHR technology is able to treat larger areas of the body in a shorter amount of time compared to IPL. This is because the SHR handpiece has a larger spot size and can cover more surface area with each pulse. Dr. Ava Shamban, a board-certified dermatologist in New York City, is an expert on both SHR and IPL hair removal. She says that SHR is indeed faster than IPL, thanks to its larger spot size and higher frequency of pulses.
- Less painful: SHR is a virtually painless procedure compared to IPL. This is because the SHR technology uses low fluence and high repetition rates, which means that the light energy is delivered in multiple pulses rather than one intense pulse.
- Suitable for all skin types: IPL is known to be less effective on darker skin tones, while SHR can safely and effectively treat all skin types, including darker skin tones.
- Fewer side effects: SHR technology is less likely to cause side effects such as burns, blisters, and hyperpigmentation compared to IPL.
Overall, SHR is a superior method of hair removal compared to IPL, with faster treatment times, less pain, and fewer side effects. It’s important to choose a reputable and experienced practitioner for SHR treatment to ensure the best possible results.
How to find IPL and SHR hair removal providers in Singapore
If you’re looking for IPL and SHR hair removal providers in Singapore, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you find a reputable and experienced practitioner.
- Research online: Use search engines and social media platforms to research hair removal providers in Singapore. Look for reviews and ratings from previous customers to gauge their reputation and experience.
- Schedule a consultation: Before booking a hair removal treatment, schedule a consultation with the provider to discuss your concerns and ask any questions you may have. This will allow you to assess their knowledge, experience, and professionalism before committing to a treatment.
- Compare prices and packages: Different hair removal providers may offer different prices and packages for their services. Make sure to compare these options to find a provider that fits your budget and offers the services you need.
- Consider location and convenience: Choose a hair removal provider that is conveniently located and easily accessible for you. This will ensure that you can easily schedule appointments and avoid any unnecessary travel or inconvenience.
By following these tips, you can find a reputable and experienced IPL and SHR hair removal provider in Singapore that can help you achieve smooth and hair-free skin.
Who Choose Wellaholic?
Here are the advantages that Wellaholic offers for those who are researching hair removal providers in Singapore:
- Scientifically-proven treatments: At Wellaholic, all treatments are backed by scientific research and case studies. This means that customers can trust the effectiveness of the treatments offered.
- Transparent and informative website: Wellaholic provides a collection of research reports on their website. This allows potential customers to learn more about the treatments and make informed decisions.
- Free consultation: Wellaholic offers a free consultation for customers to discuss their concerns and assess the knowledge and experience of the practitioners. This helps to build trust and confidence in the hair removal provider.
- Competitive pricing and packages: Wellaholic offers competitive pricing and packages for their hair removal services. Customers can compare options and find a provider that fits their budget and offers the services they need.
- Convenient locations: Wellaholic has multiple locations across Singapore, making it easy for customers to find a provider that is conveniently located and easily accessible. This saves time and avoids unnecessary travel or inconvenience.
In conclusion, both SHR and IPL hair removal are effective methods to get rid of unwanted hair and achieving smooth and hair-free skin. While IPL is a well-established technology, SHR is a newer and increasingly popular alternative that offers faster treatment times, less pain, and fewer side effects. It’s also more effective for all skin tone and hair colour types. Ultimately, the choice between SHR and IPL will depend on individual needs and preferences, as well as the expertise and qualifications of the hair removal provider. It’s important to do thorough research and choose a reputable and experienced practitioner to ensure safe and effective hair removal. By understanding the benefits and risks of both SHR and IPL hair removal, individuals can make informed decisions and achieve their desired results.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is IPL hair removal?
How does IPL hair removal work?
Is IPL hair removal permanent?
Can IPL hair removal be used on all skin types?
How many IPL hair removal sessions do I need?
Can I perform IPL hair removal at home?
Serene Chiam, Aesthetic Director
Serene Chiam, the Aesthetic Director at Wellaholic, an acclaimed Aesthetic Chain in Singapore, brings over a decade of expertise in the aesthetics industry. With a Bachelor of Health Science (Aesthetics) and CIDESCO certifications, she expertly combines scientific knowledge with practical skills. Serene is known for her personalized approach to beauty, ensuring each Wellaholic client’s journey is unique and transformative. Her significant contributions have been pivotal in establishing Wellaholic’s reputation for excellence in aesthetic wellness.
GET IN TOUCH
Book Now Pay Later
SHR Permanent Hair Removal with Unlimited Shots
- ⭐ Diode Laser Technology. Developed by Alma Lasers, SHR combines 755nm, 808nm and 1064nm laser wavelengths to target all skin types.
- ⭐ Unbeatable in Value and Quality. Wellaholic’s SHR Unlimited Plans offer a hair removal solution that is unbeatable in both value and quality.
- ⭐ One Price for All Body Parts. Pay just one low price for a complete hair removal experience for all body parts, including unlimited SHR shots.
- ⭐ Permanent Fuss-Free Solution. Say goodbye to the hassle of expensive and ineffective hair removal methods and trust WellaSmooth 3X to deliver a permanent and fuss-free solution for all your hair removal needs.
- ⭐ Award-Winning. Wellaholic’s treatments have been recognized by top beauty publications such as Daily Vanity, Beauty Insider, and Tropika Club Magazine.
- ⭐ Over 2000 Verified Customer Reviews. Wellaholic has over 30 industry awards and over 2000 positive reviews from customers, and >50% are repeat customers.