The Top 5 Things to Avoid After Your Hair Loss Treatment Session
Table of Contents
- 0.1 TL:DR Summary
- 0.2 Introduction
- 0.3 1. Avoid Excessive Heat Exposure
- 0.4 2. Steer Clear of Harsh Chemicals
- 0.5 3. Skip Strenuous Physical Activity
- 0.6 4. Be Gentle with Your Hair and Scalp
- 0.7 5. Don’t Neglect Follow-up Appointments
- 0.8 Conclusion
- 0.9 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 0.10 Book Now Pay Later
- 0.11 Revolutionise Your Hair Regrowth Journey with Scalp RF Microneedling
- 1 Post-Treatment Care: The Top 5 Things to Avoid After Your Hair Loss Treatment Session for Optimal Hair Regrowth and Health Maintenance
- Avoid washing your hair for at least 24 hours to prevent irritation and infection.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least a week to prevent inflammation and pigmentation.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for at least 48 hours to promote healing and blood circulation.
- Avoid scratching or rubbing your scalp to prevent scarring and damage to the hair follicles.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for at least 72 hours to prevent sweating and increase blood pressure.
In this article, I’m going to share the top five things you should avoid after your hair loss treatment session. Drawing from years of interactions with customers here at Wellaholic, feedback from our skilled staff, and continuous research into the latest advancements in hair loss solutions, I’ve compiled essential advice that can make a significant difference in the effectiveness of your treatment.
Essential Dos and Don’ts for Hair Loss Treatment Recovery
Whether you’re considering hair loss treatment or have recently undergone one, understanding what to avoid post-session is vital. These tips are not just based on clinical recommendations but also on real-world experiences of individuals who have navigated the hair loss treatment journey.
1. Avoid Excessive Heat Exposure
Sun Protection Post Hair Removal Treatment
In Singapore’s sunny climate, excessive heat exposure can have detrimental effects on the skin, especially after undergoing hair removal treatment. This includes the risk of hyperpigmentation, sunburns, and scarring. To shield your skin from the sun’s harmful rays, we at Wellaholic suggest the following measures:
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or cap to protect your face.
- Use a high SPF sunscreen, preferably SPF 30 or above, on treated areas before sun exposure.
- Remember to reapply sunscreen every two hours or immediately after swimming or sweating.
Avoiding Heat Styling Tools Post Treatment
Heat styling tools, while popular for hair styling, should be avoided after hair removal treatments. The heat generated by these tools can potentially damage treated areas, leading to burns and scarring. To maintain the health of the treated area, we recommend the following alternatives:
- Air dry your hair instead of using a blow dryer.
- Use a wet brush to detangle your hair.
- Opt for heatless styling methods such as braiding or twisting.
By adhering to these guidelines, you can help ensure your treated areas stay healthy and heal properly post your hair removal treatment session.
2. Steer Clear of Harsh Chemicals
2.1. Hair Dye and Bleach
Hit the pause button on coloring and bleaching: It’s important to take a break from hair dye and bleach after your hair loss treatment session. These harsh chemicals may potentially interfere with your treatment’s effectiveness and could even cause further damage to your hair and scalp.
Color me safe: When to resume hair coloring: Patience is key! We recommend waiting at least four to six weeks after your treatment before reintroducing hair coloring into your routine. Always consult with your hair loss specialist to determine the appropriate timeline for your specific situation.
2.2. Strong Hair Products
Dodging the hair product danger zone: Your hair is in recovery mode after treatment, so it’s crucial to avoid products that contain harsh ingredients like sulfates and alcohol-based formulas. These ingredients can strip your hair and scalp of essential moisture, leading to dryness and irritation.
Treat your hair with TLC: Instead, opt for gentle, nourishing hair care products that will provide the much-needed love and care your hair deserves. Look for shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that are sulfate-free, paraben-free, and specifically formulated for sensitive or treated hair. Remember, a little pampering goes a long way in promoting healthy hair growth!
3. Skip Strenuous Physical Activity
3.1. Intense Exercise
Sweat it out, but not right now: We know you’re eager to hit the gym and maintain that fabulous physique, but intense exercise post-hair loss treatment may not be the best idea. Excessive sweating can irritate your treated scalp, so it’s best to give your hair a breather for a while.
When can I break a sweat again? Don’t worry, your workout routine won’t be on hold for too long! We recommend waiting at least 48 to 72 hours before resuming moderate-intensity exercise. As always, consult with your hair loss specialist to determine the best timeline for your specific situation.
Taking a dip in the pool: We get it, swimming is a fantastic way to relax and stay fit. However, chlorinated water can be harsh on your treated hair and scalp, potentially causing dryness and irritation.
Back to the pool, but when? Hold your swan dive for just a moment! We suggest waiting at least one week after your hair loss treatment before plunging into the pool again. This will give your scalp ample time to recover and help ensure that your treatment results are not compromised. Happy swimming!
4. Be Gentle with Your Hair and Scalp
4.1. Hair Washing and Drying
Splish-splash, but with care: It’s essential to treat your treated hair and scalp like royalty. When it comes to washing, we recommend waiting at least 24 to 48 hours after your treatment session. After that, aim to wash your hair every two to three days to avoid over-cleansing.
Drying without the drama: Remember, your hair is in recovery mode, so ditch the aggressive towel-drying and opt for a gentle approach. Pat your hair gently with a microfiber towel or an old t-shirt to remove excess moisture without causing frizz or damage. And when it comes to blow-drying, use the cool setting to keep your treated hair and scalp happy.
4.2. Brushing and Combing
Tools of the trade: Treat your hair like the delicate flower it is! Choose brushes and combs with wide-spaced, smooth bristles or teeth to help prevent breakage. Say goodbye to harsh metal brushes and opt for gentle alternatives like a boar bristle brush or a wide-toothed comb.
Tangle-free tips: Detangling your hair post-treatment can be a breeze if you follow these simple steps. Start by applying a leave-in conditioner or detangling spray to help soften those pesky knots. Then, begin combing from the ends of your hair, working your way up to the roots. Voilà! Smooth, tangle-free hair without the damage.
5. Don’t Neglect Follow-up Appointments
5.1. Importance of Regular Check-ups
Keeping tabs on your hair journey: Regular follow-up appointments are the secret sauce for hair loss treatment success. These check-ups allow your hair loss specialist to monitor your progress, make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan, and ensure you’re on track to achieve optimal results.
Consistency is key: Think of these appointments as your personal pit stops on the road to luscious locks. They’re an essential part of your treatment journey and should never be missed!
5.2. Open Communication with Your Specialist
Sharing is caring: At Wellaholic, we encourage you not to hesitate in reporting any concerns or side effects to our hair loss specialists. Open communication is vital for a successful treatment experience. Our dedicated team of experts is here to guide and support you every step of the way, so feel free to discuss your progress or address any issues that may come up during your journey with us.
Questions are your friends: Remember, there’s no such thing as a silly question! Don’t be afraid to ask your specialist anything about the treatment process, aftercare, or what to expect moving forward. The more informed you are, the better equipped you’ll be to care for your hair and achieve the gorgeous, healthy mane of your dreams.
In conclusion, based on my extensive experience in the aesthetics industry and through countless interactions with clients post-hair loss treatment, I’ve identified five critical behaviors to avoid for optimal results.
First, it’s crucial to steer clear of harsh chemical hair products. These can be detrimental to the scalp’s healing process and may counteract the treatment’s benefits.
Protecting Your Scalp After Laser Treatment
Secondly, avoiding direct sun exposure is essential. The scalp is especially sensitive after treatment, and sun damage can impede recovery.
Third, resist the urge to scratch or rub the treated area. This can cause irritation and even infection, hindering the healing process.
Fourth, it’s important to avoid strenuous activities that lead to excessive sweating, as this can increase the risk of infection. Lastly, steer clear of swimming in chlorinated pools or saltwater, as these environments can irritate the scalp and impact the effectiveness of the treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long should I wait before coloring my hair after a hair loss treatment session?
Can I use my regular hair care products immediately after the treatment?
Is it safe to wear a hat or cap after my hair loss treatment to protect my scalp from the sun?
How does swimming in chlorinated water affect my scalp after hair loss treatment?
What are the potential side effects of hair loss treatments that I should be aware of?
How can I thicken my hair after experiencing hair loss?
Willie Chan, Founder
Willie Chan, a visionary leader and relentless pursuer of excellence, is the Founder and Managing Director of Wellaholic, a renowned aesthetic chain with 8 outlets across Singapore. With a strong belief in evidence-based, effective, and affordable aesthetic treatments, Willie ensures that customers receive the best care possible. His ENTJ Myer-Briggs personality drives him to set clear visions and pursue them without excuses. Willie holds a CIDESCO as well as Beauty Therapy & Salon Management from Brentwood College UK and has studied Operations Management at The Wharton School and Management at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, equipping him with a solid foundation in the business of aesthetics.
GET IN TOUCH
Book Now Pay Later
Revolutionise Your Hair Regrowth Journey with Scalp RF Microneedling
- ⭐ RF Microneedling and AGA Treatment. RF microneedling + minoxidil can help treat AGA (male pattern baldness).
- ⭐ Efficacy in Pattern Hair Loss. RF microneedling is effective for hair loss in both men and women.
- ⭐ Study Results on Hair Density Increase. A study found that RF microneedling can improve hair density by 25% after one year.
- ⭐ Adjustable Depth of Microneedling. Microneedling depth can be customized from 0.5 mm to 2.5 mm.
- ⭐ Flexible RF Microneedling Frequency. RF Microneedling sessions can be spaced from weekly to monthly, depending on your needs.
- ⭐ Award-Winning. Wellaholic’s treatments have been recognized by top beauty publications such as Daily Vanity, Beauty Insider, and Tropika Club Magazine.
- ⭐ Over 2000 Verified Customer Reviews. Wellaholic has over 30 industry awards and over 2000 positive reviews from customers, and >50% are repeat customers.