10 Facts You Didn’t Know About IPL Hair Removal
Table of Contents
- 1 TL:DR Summary
- 2 10 Facts You Didn’t Know About IPL Hair Removal
- 3 Fact 1: IPL Hair Removal can be Painful
- 4 Fact 2: IPL Hair Removal does not work for Everyone
- 5 Fact 3: IPL Hair Removal works less well on the Face
- 6 Fact 4: IPL Hair Removal May Damage the Skin
- 7 Fact 4: Plucking and waxing shouldn’t be done before IPL Hair Removal
- 8 Fact 5: IPL Hair Removal can prevent ingrown hairs
- 9 Fact 6: IPL Hair Removal can be done at Home
- 10 Fact 7: IPL Hair Removal was invented in 1997
- 11 Fact 8: Hairs can grow back after IPL hair removal
- 12 Fact 9: IPL can also improve the color and texture of your skin
- 13 Fact 10: SHR is much safer and more effective as compared to IPL Hair Removal
- 14 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- 15 Book Now Pay Later
- 16 SHR Permanent Hair Removal with Unlimited Shots
- IPL Pain Factor: IPL hair removal can be uncomfortable, but the results are worth it.
- Not for Everyone: IPL works best for light skin and dark hair, less effective for others.
- Facial Hair Challenges: IPL is less effective on facial hair due to texture and hormonal factors.
- Skin Damage Risk: IPL may cause skin damage, especially in darker skin tones.
- Avoid Plucking/Waxing: Don’t pluck or wax before IPL; it removes the target pigment in hair follicles.
- Home IPL Option: At-home IPL devices offer convenience but have limitations and safety concerns.
10 Facts You Didn’t Know About IPL Hair Removal
As an Aesthetic Director with a rich background in the aesthetics field, I’ve had the opportunity to delve deep into various hair removal techniques, including Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) therapy. Over the years, through my interactions with clients and continuous research, I’ve gathered some fascinating insights about IPL hair removal that are often overlooked or unknown.
In this article, I’m excited to share 10 intriguing facts about IPL hair removal that might surprise you. These insights stem from my firsthand experiences, discussions with industry experts, and comprehensive studies in the field of aesthetic science. Whether you’re considering IPL for the first time or are just curious about this popular method, these facts will provide a deeper understanding of what IPL is, how it works, and its unique aspects compared to other hair removal techniques.
Stay tuned as we explore these lesser-known facets of IPL hair removal, shedding light on its science, effectiveness, and the nuances that make it a preferred choice for many.
“IPL hair removal is one of the best ways to keep your skin looking smooth and silky – it’s time to get educated on these amazing facts!”
Fact 1: IPL Hair Removal can be Painful
At Wellaholic, we understand that unwanted hair can be a frustrating problem for many people. That’s why we offer IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) hair removal services that are safe, effective, and long-lasting. While IPL is a non-invasive and pain-free option for hair removal, some people may experience mild discomfort during the treatment. But don’t worry, our professional staff is well-equipped to adjust the settings to ensure maximum comfort while maintaining effectiveness. Plus, the results of IPL are worth the temporary discomfort, as it can provide significant hair reduction in as little as 6 to 12 sessions.
According to Dr. Dendy Engelman, board-certified dermatologist and Mohs surgeon: “IPL hair removal is a safe and effective way to reduce unwanted hair on most areas of the body. It is important to note that there is some discomfort associated with the treatment, but it is usually mild and temporary. The results are definitely worth it, with most patients seeing significant hair reduction after just a few sessions.”
Fact 2: IPL Hair Removal does not work for Everyone
At Wellaholic, we understand that choosing the right hair removal method can be a daunting task. That’s why we offer both IPL and SHR hair removal options to cater to all skin types and hair colors. Here’s what you need to know about these two popular hair removal treatments:
IPL Hair Removal:
- Works best for individuals with lighter skin and darker hair
- May require more sessions for individuals with darker skin
- May not be effective for individuals with blonde, white, or red hair
- Effective for all skin types and skin colors, including darker skin tones
- Uses a different technology than IPL, making it a suitable option for a wider range of individuals
- Provides long-lasting results with minimal discomfort
Fact 3: IPL Hair Removal works less well on the Face
At Wellaholic, we understand that not all hair removal methods are created equal, and this is particularly true when it comes to facial hair. While IPL hair removal can be an effective solution for many areas of the body, it may not be the best choice for facial hair removal for everyone. Here’s what you need to know:
- IPL hair removal can be less effective on facial hair: Due to the texture and color of facial hair, IPL may not be as effective at removing facial hair as it is on other parts of the body.
- Hormonal imbalances can also affect IPL effectiveness: Hormonal imbalances, particularly in women, can cause hair growth on the face that is more resistant to IPL treatment.
- Other factors can impact IPL results: Factors such as skin type, hair color, and thickness can also affect the effectiveness of IPL hair removal on the face.
Fact 4: IPL Hair Removal May Damage the Skin
Risks of IPL Hair Removal IPL Hair Removal is an effective hair removal method, but it does come with certain risks. One of the potential drawbacks is the risk of skin damage caused by the light energy used during the procedure. This can lead to burns, blisters, and discoloration, particularly in people with darker skin tones. Dr. Whitney Bowe, a board-certified dermatologist in New York City: “IPL can cause skin damage, especially in people with darker skin tones. The most common side effects are hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin) and hypopigmentation (lightening of the skin). These side effects are usually temporary, but they can be permanent in some cases.”
Minimizing Risks of IPL Hair Removal The good news is that these risks can be minimized by taking proper precautions. Choosing a reputable and experienced provider, following proper aftercare instructions, and ensuring that your skin is not overly tanned or sunburned prior to treatment can all help to reduce the risk of skin damage during IPL hair removal.
Wellaholic’s Approach to IPL Hair Removal At Wellaholic, we prioritize safety and take all necessary precautions to minimize the risk of skin damage during IPL hair removal procedures. Our trained staff are experienced in providing safe and effective IPL hair removal treatments. In addition, we offer a range of alternative hair removal methods, including Super Hair Removal (SHR), which uses a lower energy level and is gentler on the skin. So, you can be sure that you are in safe hands when you choose Wellaholic for your hair removal needs.
Fact 4: Plucking and waxing shouldn’t be done before IPL Hair Removal
At Wellaholic, we want to make sure that you get the best possible results from your IPL hair removal treatments. That’s why we always recommend that you avoid plucking or waxing the area you want to treat before your appointment. Here’s why:
- IPL targets the pigment in your hair follicles, and if you remove the hair with plucking or waxing, there won’t be any pigment left for the light to target.
- Plucking and waxing can also irritate the skin and make it more sensitive, which can lead to discomfort during IPL treatment.
- Furthermore, plucking and waxing can cause inflammation or even scarring of the skin, which can negatively impact the effectiveness of the IPL treatment.
Instead, we recommend that you shave the area or use depilatory creams to remove the hair before your IPL treatment. This will leave the hair shaft intact, allowing the light to target the pigment in the follicle for optimal results. “If you do pluck or wax the area before your laser hair removal session, it is important to wait at least six weeks before your appointment. This gives the hair follicles time to fully recover and produce new hairs, which are the ones that the laser will be targeting.” – Dr. Jeannette Graf, board-certified dermatologist and author of Stop Aging, Start Living: Your Complete Guide to Staying Young at Any Age.
Fact 5: IPL Hair Removal can prevent ingrown hairs
At Wellaholic, we believe in the power of IPL Hair Removal not just for the benefits of smooth and hair-free skin, but also for preventing ingrown hairs. Ingrown hairs can be a painful and unsightly problem for many people, especially in areas like the bikini line or underarms. But with IPL Hair Removal, the light energy targets the hair follicle, which reduces the chances of ingrown hairs forming. This is because IPL Hair Removal destroys the hair follicle, preventing it from growing back and potentially becoming ingrown. So, not only can IPL Hair Removal give you the smooth skin you desire, but it can also help you avoid the discomfort and irritation of ingrown hairs. Trust us, your skin will thank you!
Fact 6: IPL Hair Removal can be done at Home
At-home IPL hair removal devices have become increasingly popular, as they offer a convenient alternative to traditional salon treatments. However, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before investing in an at-home device.
- Convenience: At-home devices allow you to achieve hair-free skin from the comfort of your own home, saving time and money on salon visits.
- Cost-effective: Although they may not be as powerful as professional-grade machines, at-home devices are generally more affordable.
- Privacy: For those who are uncomfortable with receiving hair removal treatments in a salon, at-home devices offer a more private solution.
- Limitations: At-home devices may not be as effective as professional treatments, especially for those with darker or coarser hair.
- Safety concerns: Without proper safety procedures, at-home devices can cause harm such as burns or discoloration.
- Learning curve: To achieve the best results, it’s important to properly familiarize yourself with the device and follow instructions carefully.
Overall, at-home IPL hair removal can be a helpful option for those looking for a more convenient hair removal solution. However, it’s important to keep in mind the limitations and potential risks involved, and to take proper safety precautions when using at-home devices.
Fact 7: IPL Hair Removal was invented in 1997
IPL Hair Removal Technology. IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) hair removal technology has been around for 25 years. In August 1997, IPL was reported to have permanently removed terminal hair in two patients who underwent multiple treatments to their beards. In October of that year, the first IPL system developed for hair removal resulted in a 60% hair reduction after 12 weeks.
SHR Hair Removal Technology. SHR (Super Hair Removal) is a newer technology as compared to IPL. Developed by Alma Lasers, SHR combines 755nm, 808nm, and 1064nm laser wavelengths to target all skin types. Simultaneous contact cooling prevents burns and allows for a more comfortable treatment. This technology is ideal for skin and hair of all types and causes minimal irritation to the skin. Wellaholic’s SHR Prestige plan allows you hair reduction treatments on all body parts.
At Wellaholic, we offer both IPL and SHR hair removal technologies to cater to your specific needs and preferences. Our experienced professionals can guide you through the process and recommend the best treatment options based on your individual requirements.
Fact 8: Hairs can grow back after IPL hair removal
It’s true that IPL hair removal is not a guarantee for permanent hair removal. While the treatment may reduce hair growth, it does not completely eliminate hair follicles. Some hair may still grow back, albeit finer and sparser. The effectiveness of IPL hair removal varies from person to person, depending on several factors such as hair color, skin tone, and hormonal changes. In some cases, maintenance treatments may be required to achieve optimal results.
Nevertheless, IPL hair removal remains one of the most popular and effective methods for long-term hair reduction. At Wellaholic, our experienced therapists will guide you through the entire process, from pre-treatment preparation to aftercare, to ensure that you get the best possible results from your IPL hair removal treatments.
Fact 9: IPL can also improve the color and texture of your skin
IPL hair removal not only targets hair follicles but also improves the texture and color of your skin. It can help with various skin issues such as hyperpigmentation, sun damage, and rosacea. IPL emits light energy that penetrates deep into the skin and stimulates the production of collagen, a protein that gives the skin its elasticity and firmness. As collagen increases, fine lines, wrinkles, and skin discoloration fade away. IPL also helps with pore reduction and skin tightening, giving you a smoother, more youthful appearance. According to American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), “Intense pulsed light (IPL) is a non-invasive treatment that uses light energy to improve the appearance of the skin. IPL can be used to treat a variety of skin concerns, including uneven skin tone, rosacea, age spots, sun damage, and fine lines and wrinkles. IPL works by delivering pulses of light to the skin, which target and destroy melanin-producing cells. This can help to even out the skin tone and reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation. IPL can also stimulate collagen production, which can improve the overall texture of the skin.”
Fact 10: SHR is much safer and more effective as compared to IPL Hair Removal
At Wellaholic, we prioritize safety and effectiveness in all of our hair removal treatments. That’s why we use Super Hair Removal (SHR) technology, which offers several benefits over traditional IPL hair removal:
Effective and Safe SHR technology gradually delivers heat to the hair follicles using lower energy levels, making it more effective and safer than IPL hair removal. It is virtually pain-free and can be used on all skin types, including tanned or darker skin.
Comfortable Experience IPL delivers higher energy levels, which can result in discomfort and potentially harm the skin. With SHR technology, you can expect a comfortable hair removal experience.
Suitable for All Hair Types IPL hair removal is less effective on fine or light-colored hair. With SHR technology, you can achieve effective hair removal regardless of your hair color or type.
Our experienced therapists at Wellaholic will guide you through the entire process, ensuring that you get the best possible results from your SHR hair removal treatments.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is IPL hair removal and how does it work?
Is IPL hair removal suitable for all skin types?
Can IPL hair removal be used for facial hair removal?
Is IPL hair removal considered permanent hair removal?
Can IPL hair removal be done for body hair removal?
Is IPL hair removal the same as SHR (Super Hair Removal)?
Serene Chiam, Aesthetic Director
Serene Chiam, the Aesthetic Director at Wellaholic, an acclaimed Aesthetic Chain in Singapore, brings over a decade of expertise in the aesthetics industry. With a Bachelor of Health Science (Aesthetics) and CIDESCO certifications, she expertly combines scientific knowledge with practical skills. Serene is known for her personalized approach to beauty, ensuring each Wellaholic client’s journey is unique and transformative. Her significant contributions have been pivotal in establishing Wellaholic’s reputation for excellence in aesthetic wellness.
GET IN TOUCH
Book Now Pay Later
SHR Permanent Hair Removal with Unlimited Shots
- ⭐ Diode Laser Technology. Developed by Alma Lasers, SHR combines 755nm, 808nm and 1064nm laser wavelengths to target all skin types.
- ⭐ Unbeatable in Value and Quality. Wellaholic’s SHR Unlimited Plans offer a hair removal solution that is unbeatable in both value and quality.
- ⭐ One Price for All Body Parts. Pay just one low price for a complete hair removal experience for all body parts, including unlimited SHR shots.
- ⭐ Permanent Fuss-Free Solution. Say goodbye to the hassle of expensive and ineffective hair removal methods and trust WellaSmooth 3X to deliver a permanent and fuss-free solution for all your hair removal needs.
- ⭐ Award-Winning. Wellaholic’s treatments have been recognized by top beauty publications such as Daily Vanity, Beauty Insider, and Tropika Club Magazine.
- ⭐ Over 2000 Verified Customer Reviews. Wellaholic has over 30 industry awards and over 2000 positive reviews from customers, and >50% are repeat customers.