Effective Permanent Hair Removal for Males – Tips and Tricks
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Hair Removal for Males
- Different Males have different Hair Removal requirements
- There are hygiene reasons too!
- Getting rid of irritating ingrown hairs
- Laser Hair Removal and Super Hair Removal (SHR)
- Using laser hair removal to stop hair growth or thin out hair
- Understanding the hair growth cycle for better hair removal
- What should you do before your first SHR hair removal appointment?
- Update on your skin colour and ethnicity to determine the right SHR settings
- Wellaholic’s Super Hair Removal
- WellaSmooth All-inclusive Hair Removal by Wellaholic
- See Over 1800 Positive Reviews of Wellaholic (Customer Verifiable)
- Pricing of SHR Hair Removal Treatments by Wellaholic
Introduction to Hair Removal for Males
Hair removal used to be strictly a female thing. Unless you are a bodybuilder, a swimmer or a cyclist who requires a clean, shaving body look for competitive reasons, you might not consider hair removal. However, in this modern-day, more and more men are opting for the same grooming rights as women. This includes having smooth skin on all parts of the body, including the private and pubic regions via manscaping or boyzilian hair removal.
Different Males have different Hair Removal requirements
There is an increase in men with various hair removal requirements. Some men do not necessarily want all body hair removed. For example, we have some customers who increasingly want their chest and back hair thinning (and not totally removed). Then there are customers who want a full body permanent hair removal, including boyzilian. (Boyzilian is a common term for permanent hair removal for the private area, including the groin and the butt area). There are also male customers who have specific requests, such as SHR on their eyebrows. This is because they want to take away the unibrow look.
There are hygiene reasons too!
Another reason to why more males are getting their body hair removal is because of hygiene. Some guys find that manscaping helps them relieve irritation. Hair removal helps to reduce bushiness and any itchiness that can be accentuated by sweating, especially during the hot humid Singapore weather, or after exercise. By keeping the skin smooth and hair-free, it prevents excessive sweat and bacteria from multiplying, which is the main culprit for body odours.
Getting rid of irritating ingrown hairs
The other common reason would be ingrown hairs. A lot of guys want to have less hair to make shaving easier. This is especially so when they have ingrown hairs at their chin or neck areas. Laser hair removal is the only effective way to treat a condition called PFD (pseudofolliculitis barbae). This is a condition where clusters of red, inflamed or dark bumps appear around hair follicles after shaving.
You get also develop ingrown pubic hairs when your pubic hair grows back into the skin instead of rising up to the surface. This may happen for pubic hairs which have been shaved, waxed, or plucked. When an ingrown hair develops, you may notice small, round bumps called papules, or small, pus-filled bumps called pustules. For some serious cases, the skin around the ingrown hair may become darker. This is known as hyperpigmentation. There may also be itching around the irritated areas.
Laser Hair Removal and Super Hair Removal (SHR)
While waxing is the traditional means of temporary hair removal, which requires monthly visits to the waxing salon, laser hair removal has become the defacto solution for permanent hair removal. Laser hair removal such as Wellaholic’s SHR or Super Hair Removal uses laser light energy to penetrate the hair shaft. This travels down to the follicle and kills the hair root, where the hair growth starts. While another hair can grow in its place, it is very difficult.
Hence, laser hair removal can last a fairly long time, and even permanently. Laser hair removal is a procedure where a specific beam of light bypasses the epidermis and targets the follicle. This disables the reproductive cycle of the hair without hurting the skin. As laser hair removal destroys the follicle, the hair shaft becomes weak and limp, and with repeated treatments – about 8 to 12 treatments – the follicle dies and no hair grows.
Using laser hair removal to stop hair growth or thin out hair
Laser hair removal has the flexibility to either permanently stop hair growth, or just thin out hair. In fact, other than electrolysis, laser hair removal is the only hair removal treatment that allows for thinning, rather than complete removal. When done properly every laser hair removal treatment for males can remove up to 25% of hairs that are in an active (anagen) stage, treatments are performed every 8–10 weeks and are continued till you reach the desire reduction that is right for you.
Average estimates are 6-7 sessions to get rid of 90% to 95% of the hairs on any body area. The darker the hairs the better the absorption of the laser light which destroys the papilla ending the growth cycle of the hair follicle. Hairs which have lighter pigment (melanin) that are lighter then a light brown like blond, red or gray hairs will take longer due to less absorption of the laser light and energy. Nevertheless, patients will be able to see gradual hair reduction over time.
Understanding the hair growth cycle for better hair removal
A point to note is that we usually say that customers will get permanent hair reduction. This is because what happens is that when one follicle dies, there might be another one next to it that may regenerate itself. Hair grows in different cycles so at any time, 30 to 60 percent of the hair is in the anagen growth cycle stage. The laser is targeting the hairs in the growth stage. The dead ones that are dead will shed after a few weeks. By the time you go for your next appointment (recommended 30 days later, to time with the hair growth cycle), the hairs that were in their growth stage will now by in their dormant or dying stage.
What should you do before your first SHR hair removal appointment?
Shaving. It is important to shave the area that you are getting treated before the appointment. At Wellaholic, we also provide a shaving service at a nominal fee, but we recommend customers to shaving before the treatment if possible. You want to have short hair so that when the light and energy goes through it, there is enough left to target the follicles.
Update on your skin colour and ethnicity to determine the right SHR settings
Lasers work differently on light and dark skins. People with fair skin will fall under Type 1, 2 and 3 and responds best to shorter wavelength (755 nanometers), which is easy on the skin and also effective on light hair. On the other hand, people with dark skin will fall under Type 4, 5 and 6 (where Type 4 is Indian, and Type 5 and 6 being African American). In this case, we will use a wavelength that bypasses the epidermis and has a long pulse like the 1064 nanometers and safe on their type of skin.
Wellaholic’s Super Hair Removal
We hope that this article on permanent hair removal for males has been a useful read for you. Wellaholic offers a range of hair removal services, for male customers and by male therapists. (female customers are served by our female therapists)
WellaSmooth All-inclusive Hair Removal by Wellaholic
WellaSmooth™ All-Inclusive Hair Removal is designed for an all-inclusive fuss-free full-body permanent hair removal experience with a 5-star rating. WellaSmooth™ All-Inclusive Hair Removal includes all-that-you-require shaving service, followed by SHR Unlimited Prestige hair removal which includes unlimited SHR shots for the entire body (including Brazilian/Boyzilian). Also included is our Skin Whitening / Hydrating post-treatment therapy (PTT) followed by our AfterGlow Red Light therapy.
What is WellaSmooth™ All-inclusive Hair Removal Regime?
- Voted Best Hair Removal Treatment by Daily Vanity Spa and Beauty Awards 2021.
- WellaSmooth™ All-Inclusive Hair Removal is designed for an all-inclusive fuss-free full-body permanent hair reduction experience.
- WellaSmooth™ All-Inclusive Hair Removal is ideal for all skin color, hair color, and all forms of hair.
- Also include is all-that-you-require shaving service for all body parts including your private regions.
- WellaSmooth™ All-Inclusive Hair Removal also includes the Skin Whitening / Hydrating (PTT) with AfterGlow™, which includes post-hair-removal skin whitening or skin hydration followed by our AfterGlow Red Light therapy for enhanced skin rejuvenation.
- Achieve smooth and glowing skin that will wow everyone.
- This treatment is ideal for both men and women, by male and female therapists.
- Get a package and choose your shaving, SHR permanent hair removal and post-treatment whitening and hydration done at any of our multiple outlets across Singapore.
WellaSmooth™ is your ultimate all-inclusive hair removal treatment in Singapore complete with shaving and post-treatment care.
WellaSmooth™ Includes the Following Three Hair Removal Services
- SHR Permanent Hair Removal PRESTIGE Unlimited – Enjoy our bestseller SHR hair reduction treatment for all body parts
- Unlimited Shaving Service – Enjoy unlimited shaving service on all body parts
- Skin Whitening/Hydrating (PTT) with AfterGlow – Enjoy post-treatment whitening or hydrating therapy followed by AfterGlow red-light treatment to rejuvenate your skin
See Over 1800 Positive Reviews of Wellaholic (Customer Verifiable)
Pricing of SHR Hair Removal Treatments by Wellaholic
Wellaholic believes in providing pricing transparency, and hence all prices are published and updated on its website. Choose from unlimited monthly hair removal plans (with unlimited SHR hair removal shots) for unlimited body parts, or choose from per-session hair removal price plans. Wellaholic’s hair removal prices are generally divided into the following categories: