Super Hair Removal – Why is SHR Better Than IPL For Hair Removal?
Table of Contents
- Introduction to SHR technology as a newer and better form of permanent hair removal
- What is IPL Hair Removal?
- What is SHR or Super Hair Removal?
- How Many SHR Treatments are Necessary for Effective Hair Removal?
- Wellaholic is One of the Pioneers for SHR Hair Removal
- Wellaholic is Featured in AugustMan Magazine for our SHR
- What is WellaSmooth?
Introduction to SHR technology as a newer and better form of permanent hair removal
Laser hair removal treatments are now seen as the most effective method of hair removal. While IPL used to be the most popular form of permanent hair removal, many people are starting to pay attention to SHR (Super Hair Removal) as the better alternative to IPL.
In this article, Wellaholic is going to explain why SHR is a better form of hair removal as compared to IPL in Singapore. Compare between IPL vs SHR hair removal. We will dive into the science behind IPL hair removal and SHR hair removal, and explain why SHR technology has many advantages over IPL for permanent hair removal. IPL or SHR? You decide.
What is IPL Hair Removal?
First and foremost, IPL (or intense pulse light) uses a single pulse of energy, at high intensity, which targets the customer’s hair follicles and melanin. IPL simply works by releasing light in multiple wavelengths directly into the dermis. Melanin is produced in specialised cells called melanocytes. The intense light and energy from IPL is converted into heat energy and is able to cause damage to the hair follicles without causing too much damage to the skin. This makes IPL more suitable for people with darker and coarser hair. Establishments which offer IPL include Japan IPL, Musee Platinum as well as Lush Aesthetics.
A person with fairer skin will likely require more sessions as the IPL hair removal technology is less effective on them. On the other hand, while IPL is effective for darker-skinned people, they may have more uncomfortable session (i.e. PAIN!) since their skin will be absorbing more heat energy which would then be translated into pain when the heat affects the nerves.
What is SHR or Super Hair Removal?
SHR or Super Hair Removal is a relatively newer technology which uses low energy and rapid pulsing diode laser but at a higher frequency. Developed by Alma Lasers, this diode laser hair removal technology allows the skin to be heated gently, but with the rapid pulses, the energy is then accumulated by the skin. While 50% of the energy is targeted at the melanin (similar to IPL), the other 50% targets the stem cells responsible for hair production.
This is a very important point to note as SHR thereby targets both fine and coarse hairs. Ultimately, this leads to less discomfort and pain, yet an improved efficacy. SHR is most effective during the active growth phase (anagen stage of hair growth) hence shaving a day before treatment or just before the hair removal treatment is most recommended.
Because of the gradual accumulation of the energy into the skin, there is less trauma and irritation on the skin – making it ideal and suitable for everyone, regardless of skin tone and even for customers with sensitive skin. In fact, SHR is often considered to be one of the best laser hair removal treatments in Singapore given the various technologies. SHR hair removal is very ideal for Brazilian Hair Removal as it is more gentle on the skin.
How Many SHR Treatments are Necessary for Effective Hair Removal?
If the hair is in the anagen phase of growth during treatment, which refers to the active (hair) growth phase, it can be easily destroyed as in the case with IPL technology. The advantage of SHR hair removal in this case is that it can work with customers during both their anagen phase and non-anagen phase, as SHR can target the 50% of the stem cells. Nevertheless, a three-to-four week recovery or “down” time is required to meet this anagen phase as well as to give the skin a recovery time before the next treatment.
Wellaholic is One of the Pioneers for SHR Hair Removal
Wellaholic is pleased to be one of the first few establishments to offer SHR Laser Hair Removal since 2016. In order to help our customers with their goal of achieving a smooth skin, Wellaholic offers cost-competitive Monthly Unlimited Packages which allows customers hair removal on all body areas (including Brazilian or Boyzilian) at an affordable monthly fee.
In addition, Wellaholic’s SHR machines are serviced and calibrated regularly to ensure optimum efficacy. Our staff are also trained to ensure that the best experience towards permanent hair removal for our customers.
Our constantly R&D in the SHR treatment procedure has helped us clinch several awards, including the following:
- Best Hair Removal Treatment 2021 – Daily Vanity Spa & Beauty Awards 2021
- Best SHR Treatment 2020 – Beauty Insider Spa & Salon Awards
- Best Hair Removal Services 2019 – Beauty Insider Spa & Salon Awards
- Best IPL/SHR Treatment 2019 – Daily Vanity Spa & Hair Awards 2019
- Most Popular Hair Removal Treatment – Critic’s Choice Awards 2019
- Certificate of Excellence 2019 – TripAdvisor
Wellaholic is Featured in AugustMan Magazine for our SHR
Wellaholic is featured in AugustMan Magazine for our SHR hair removal treatment. Read the excerpt below, or read the full article here.
SHR (super hair removal) is similar to an IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment. The main difference is that the SHR device dispenses light energy with a higher frequency at a lower temperature compared to IPL devices. This newer technology is touted to be more effective at nixing hair follicles while posing less discomfort.
- Procedure: After being stripped and shaven clean to expose the hair follicles, aloe vera gel is applied to protect the skin. The aesthetician then carefully works the device over the desired areas in swift motions. Unlike in IPL where the treatment feels like getting snapped by multiple rubber bands, SHR feels like being passed over by shots of warm air.
- Results: Effects of weakened follicles (slower regrowth and finer hair strands) are apparent after five to seven sessions.
- Pros: The process was painless and the effects are lasting.
- Cons: It’s costly and results are not immediate – they can only be seen after five to seven treatments.
- Post-care tip: Exfoliate in between appointments.
- We recommend: Boyzilian at Wellaholic. More details are available at www.wellaholic.com.
What is WellaSmooth?
WellaSmooth™ is designed for an all-inclusive fuss-free full-body permanent hair removal experience, completed with all-that-you-require shaving service and our amazing Post-Treatment Therapy (PTT) with AfterGlow which helps with your skin whitening, hydrating and rejuvenating. Result? Smooth and glowing skin that will wow everyone. WellaSmooth is a laser hair removal for both men and women, by male and female therapists. Choose SHR or IPL hair removal options to go with your treatment.
WellaSmooth™ is your ultimate all-inclusive hair removal treatment in Singapore complete with shaving and post-treatment care.
WellaSmooth includes all elements of hair removal services:
- SHR Permanent Hair Removal PRESTIGE Unlimited – Enjoy our bestseller SHR treatment for all body parts
- Unlimited Shaving Service – Enjoy unlimited shaving service on all body parts
- PTT with AfterGlow – Enjoy post-treatment whitening or hydrating therapy followed by AfterGlow red-light treatment